Our new Executive Chef at Point Yacht Club
Swiss born and trained Chef Markus travelled the world for decades before settling 20years ago in Durban. Stops included; Saudi Arabia, Hawaii, Fiji, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Thailand where he worked for multinational Hotel chains.
His local Chef career started at the Main Hotel in Sun City, 1996. Then he moved on as the opening Executive Chef of the Inkosi Albert Luthuli Conference Centre back in 1997.
After his 6-year stint, Markus set up his own Catering firm, namely Total Catering Concepts. His activities include, catering consultancy for new and rehabilitated projects, start-up operation, concept development, food related research and development, private and outside catering as well as running for the past 10 years the Coffee Shop at Kearsney College.
Since his arrival at Point Yacht Club, Durban, in December, Markus his wife Sapeta and his team promises to leave some remarkable footprints in people’s hearts (stomachs)
“No function or event is too small or too big for us” he says, “our culinary journey across the globe has provided us with all required tools for our trade”, he notes further.
Since our arrival, we have taken over the Anchorage Restaurant, (yes, all are welcome) located on the ground floor of the Point Yacht Club. We serve a refreshing and varied menu all day long. Daily specials will always complement our offerings.
The function rooms and meeting facilities at the Club are also part of our Catering Portfolio. Whether it be for a meeting, a nice lunch, a cocktail party or a sumptuous dinner party, we are ready to host you and your guests.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you as our guests at the Point Yacht Club, and we look forward to serving you.
Chef Markus and the Team
- Unilever “By Invitation only” competition invitee; March 2011 at HOSTEX Trade Show Johannesburg
- South African Chef’s Association – Weber Braai Provincial Braai competition 2010, 3rd place
- South African Chef’s Association – Weber Braai Provincial Braai competition 2009, Winner
- Member of the International Judging board, young Commis Rotisseur competition 2015, 2017, Durban
- Organiser of the provincial young Commis Rotisseur competition KZN 2003/04
- Project Manager in charge for the co-ordination of Africa’s biggest Cake sponsored by MTN, 16 by 16 meters in length and width weighing almost 12.000 kg
- Member of the Judges board for the International Young Commis Rotisseur Competition held in September 2003 in Cape Town
- Bailli (Provincial President) of the Chaine des Rotisseur, Chapter Kwa Zulu Natal for 4 years
- Member of the board (1998-2001), and member of the South African Chefs Association (FMSACA)
- Initiator and executing project Manager for the World’s longest cake, Durban 6th February 2000, in conjunction with the South African Chefs Association to raise funds for the needy (Guinness Book of World record entry)
- Initiator for one of the largest Cakes ever baked in South Africa, in aid of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund and Oprah Winfrey for their Christmas Party held in December 2002
- Noted as the “naked Chef” of South Africa during the public cooking demonstrations at DECOREX Exhibition (The Mercury)